(Adopted February 18, 2014)
Tam O'Shanter Park
Catlin Rotary Spray Park
Lads & Lassies Park
Rotary Skate Park
Scot Hollow Park
Kelso Senior Center
This is the most significant park facility in the city system. Because of its size, central location, varied natural features and diverse recreational opportunities, Tam O'Shanter Park attracts large numbers of local and regional park users. Opened in 1958, this 38-acre park is located directly south of Kelso High School, adjoining the Coweeman River and is open year around.
This multi-use community park has the new Rister Stadium (baseball), Heerensperger Field (Girl's softball), concession areas, five baseball fields (two lighted), three softball fields, a multipurpose field for soccer, a basketball court with six hoops, two horshoe pits, access to a regional trail system, 30 picnic areas, and 10 restrooms.
There is a large playground to the south of the fields for use by younger children.
Near the playground is a large covered area available for reservation.
Scattered throughout the park are numerous covered picnic areas that are available on a first-come first-serve basis.
The Heerensperger Girl's Softball Complex is located at Tam O'Shanter Park and was dedicated May 8, 2010. David Heerensperger, a successful businessman and Kelso native, once played Little League baseball at Tam O'Shanter Park and wanted to do something in memory of his mother, Leona Bailey Heerensperger (1910-1955). The Heerensperger Girl's Softball Complex was made possible by the generous donation of more than $150,000 by David Heerensperger and his wife Jill, with other contributions from family, friends, businesses and volunteers. The completed Girl's Softball Complex consists of new fencing, dugouts, bleachers, and plaza entrance area. The dedication ceremony included a ceremonial pitch by David Heerensperger prior to the LCC vs. Clackamas doubleheader, followed by the unveiling of a sculpture near the entrance of the complex.
The sculpture named "A Mother's Love", was a gift to David from his wife Jill of Heerensperger's mother and a young ball player.
Rister Stadium is located at Tam O'Shanter Park and was dedicated in April of 2006. The stadium is named after Stan Rister, a passionate volunteer with Cowlitz Little League and Kelso Babe Ruth Leagues. He was the father of Jolene McCaw, Seattle philanthropist who, along with her husband Bruce, donated more than $1.4 million to the project.
The completed 500-seat stadium inspired an additional $700,000 in local giving and in-kind support. In addition to a grant of $40,000, the Community Foundation provided coordination and fund management for the three year project. Hall of Fame baseball player Reggie Jackson, Seattle Mariners players Jeremy Reed and Willie Bloomquist, and ex-M's Dave Valle and Bret Boone were part of the dedication ceremonies.
The Catlin Rotary Spray Park was constructed in 2005 and the dedication for the Park was in 2006. This park is located on the corner of Cowlitz Way and Main Street and includes a water spray play area, benches, picnic tables and restrooms. This park is open from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend, 10:00am - 9:00pm.
This quarter of an acre mini-park is located in the business district on the corner of South Pacific Avenue and Oak Street. The park, completed in 1975, consists of picnic tables, park benches, drinking fountain, informational notice board, and a memorial structure. This park is open year around and intended for day use by people visiting the business district.
This small neighborhood park is located on South 8th Avenue and Elm Street. This completely fenced park has a playground, park benches, picnic table and a bike rack. This park is used year around by the surrounding community.
This park is located between North Pacific Avenue and Kelso Avenue. The primary feature of this little park is a variety of rhododendrons planted by the regional Rhododendron Society to beautify what was once an unsightly area. The park is prettiest in the late spring when the flowers are in full bloom.
This park is located east of Interstate 5 off of Burcham Street, adjacent to the Rotary Skate Park. The park consists of a playground, covered picnic area, restrooms, and open field space. This park is used primarily in the spring, summer and fall months.
The Kelso Rotary Skate Park was constructed and dedicated in 2009. This park is located on the corner of Burcham Street and Minor Road and includes 10,000 square feet of extensive bowl and street elements. This park is open year around.
This three-quarter acre open space park is located at the intersection of North 19th Avenue and Bates Road. The park consists of a picnic table, park bench, and an open field for play. Scot Hollow is very aesthetic and is used mainly in the spring, summer and fall months.
The Kelso Senior Center is located in the Catlin Hall, 106 NW 8th Ave. Hours are 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Membership dues are $5.00 a year. Phone: (360) 232-8622 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Kelso Senior Center on Facebook!